Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I've read one of the post of someone else and I've found out that it's interesting so here I come to share.

It's all about depression, but it's not about what causes us to be depressed but it's about what not to say to people who's being in the depression condition.

Well, it's hard enough having depression. It's harder when people don't understand and judge you for it. Sometimes I don't know whether they're trying to help or just being insensitive, but here are some things you shouldn't say to someone who has depression.

* Why don't you just grow up?
* What do you have to be depressed over?
* There are so many people who have it much worse than you.
* Why can't you ever be happy?
* You have so many things to be thankful for.
* Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
* At least you have a roof over your head and clothes on your back.
* You can choice to be happy if you wanted.
* Everyone gets depressed at sometime or another.
* You'll get over it.
* Stop crying.
* But you've actually been good for a while.
* What's your problem?
* No one cares if you're depressed.
* When you get older you will realize how stupid you were being.
* All you think about is the negative things.
* You need to get out of bed and do something.

So what should you say? Depression is an illness, one that can be more debilitating than even the worst flu. It should be treated as such, and it is crucial that you be kind and supportive without being overbearing or obnoxious.

* You seem to have trouble getting out of bed in the mornings. What can I do to help you in this area?
* You seem to be finding this issue a big deal at the moment. Can we solve it together?
* We are a team. I am on your side.
* I trust you. If you had a choice in the matter you wouldn’t choose to have depression. How about we search for some solutions together?
* I love you for who you are. I am not going to leave you.
* You are a sensitive person who cares for others.
* People really love you a lot. They think you’re a great person.
* If you ever need a friend, I am here.
* I can’t imagine how hard it is for you, but you have all my sympathy.
* All I want to do is give you a hug and a shoulder to cry on.
* I can’t honestly say that I know how you feel, but I want to help in any way I can.
* Let me do anything you need me to do to help.

Have you or anyone you know experienced depression? How did you help them/how did they help you?

No comments: